I assisted a client today who was experiencing very sluggish system performance on her Dell Inspiron 1150 after installing Windows XP SP2. After a quick Google/ Dell Forum search it appears that there are multiple people experiencing the same problem. Below are the steps I took to resolve the problem:
– Upgraded BIOS from A04 to A06 by running the BIOS update provided on the Dell Support Site
– Ran Dell’s QuickSet utility to configure the Power Settings for the laptop to be ‘always on’.
– Checked Windows Power Settings to confirm that the power scheme selected was set to something other than Portable/ Laptop
– Reset BIOS settings by pressing Alt + F
Some other recommendations:
– Roll back the processor driver that restores the processor.sys driver over the intelppm.sys installed by XP SP2.