I finally finished categorizing all my posts into a relative taxonomy that suits the type of posts I make. Now I can start trying to figure out the types of WordPress plugins that I want running and decided to start of by installing the Google Sitemaps WordPress 2.0 plugin.
The plugin offers a host of features but the most important ones to me are:
- Generates a static XML file in my blog directory and even allows me to customize the filename
- Generates a sitemap for the homepage, posts, static pages, categories and archive pages. All the work that I spent categorizing my previous posts should now pay off.
- The static XML file gets automatically regenerated everytime I edit, create or publish a post
- Automatically updates Google via Google-Ping
- I can include external pages that are not generated by WordPress