An excellent list of helpful references and resources for student data privacy from Data Quality Campaign compiled by EdSurge.
If you’re looking for more background information on the issue, check out the resources over at the Data Quality Campaign (DQC), a nonpartisan national advocacy nonprofit which aims to build productive conversations around how data is used in education to improve student achievement. In its resources section, DQC offers a range of tools to help you thoroughly understand why companies and districts collect student data and what follow up questions you should be asking. Here are a few of the DQC’s resources that we’ve found most useful
- Getting the Facts Straight about Education Data
- Federal Privacy Laws That Apply to Children and Education
- Empowering Parents with Data: Ensuring Parents Have Data to Make Informed Choices
- Cheat Sheet: Data Privacy, Security, and Confidentiality
- Roadmap to Safeguarding Student Data: Key Focus Areas for State Education Agencies