I recently ran into a small problem with installing OS X updates when I realized that without the Administrator password I could not install the available OS X 10.3.8 update.
The work around from a Google Group posting was to reset the Administrator password. Below are the steps I followed:
1. Boot your computer using the Mac OS X Installer CD. (Note: You can force a CD ROM boot by holding down the C key during restart.)
2. At the Installer screen, select Reset Password from the Installer menu
3. Select the Mac OS X volume which contains the password you wish to change.
4. After selecting the Mac OS X volume, click on the popup menu for the user that you want to reset the password to.
5. Once you have selected the user type in the new password and click on the Save button.
7. After clicking on the Save button quit the Reset Password application which will bring you back to the Installer screen.
8. Select Quit Installer for the Installer menu.
From one of the comments on Michael Hyatt’s blog post is a link to the list of OS X Shortcut keys.
My goal is to try and get up to speed with OS X by the time Tiger is released so that I can join the club of other Mac OS X subject experts at the University.
For now, the most common shortcut keys, as obtained from Paul Stamatiou are listed below:
Command-D?Duplicates current item
Command-E?Ejects selected volume, media, or server
Command-H?Hide current application
Command-I?Opens Get Info dialog for selected item
Command-J?Toggles View Options Open & Closed
Command-K?Connect to server
Command-L?Creates Alias for selected item
Command-M?Minimize a Finder-folder to Dock
Command-Option-M?Save as above but minimizes all open Finder-folders
Command-N?Opens up new Finder window
Command-O?Opens selected item
Command-W?Closes Finder-folder window
Command-Option-W?Same as above but closes all Finder-folders
Command-Option-Escape Force Quit
Command-Del?Moves selected item to Trash
Command-Shift-A?Opens the applications folder
Command-Shift-N?Creates a new folder in the selected workspace
Command-Tab Rotate through open applications and switch to highlighted app
I finally got a Mac at home. It’s currently running OS X 10.3.8 and I also managed to get the Microsoft Office 2004 suite on. Anyone know of a list of OS X shortcuts?
At the Macworld Expo, Steve Jobs unveiled new IPod designs. Called the IPod-Mini, the new device can store 4GB worth of songs.